by Heather Rominger, IT Recruiter, http://www.linkedin.com/pub/heather-rominger/2b/b82/518
When most think of “professional attire” they don’t always associate it with the words fashionable or stylish. It is important to keep your unique style while dressing for work and there are several ways to do this while still keeping it work appropriate. Here are some tips to keep in mind when dressing for work, these tips work for both men and women:
- Dress according to work policy – even if your work place has a strict dress code policy there are always was to incorporate personal style with a pop of color or a fun accessory.
- Pick clothes that fit – even if this means getting items tailored. However, this does not mean items that fit too tight.
- Always have a nice suit – this is important for special occasions like making a first impression during an interview.
- Keep it fashionable – you can stay up on the latest fashion trends by picking up a magazine, turning on the television, or following fashion themed websites like corporette.com, corporatefashionista.com, workchic.com/blog, and for men, tsbmen.com or epic-living.tumblr.com.
Here are some items to keep in the closet for men and women:
- Shirts: 5 – 10 shirts so they may be rotated weekly or every other week
- Shoes: Have more than 1 pair of shoes that are in great condition
- Ties: This is a venue to show off your personal style – chose colors and patterns that fit your style
- Suit: This could be a pant suit or a skirt suit – tailored to fit
- Skirts: There are several styles of skirts – pencil, ruffled – choose what fits you best
- Trousers: It is good to go with neutral trousers as this allows for more combinations but choose a couple of colors/patterns that go along with your style
- Shoes: Heels or flats depending on your preference – this is an easy way to show off your style
- Accessories: Scarves, jewelry, hats – pick the items that allow you to have your own style
So, why is it important to keep your personal style/fashion in your work clothes? Your style reflects on more than just your clothes. If you are comfortable in your clothes at work then this may help bring out your work style as well. “Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Fashion is in the sky; in the street, fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening.” – Coco Chanel